UPDATED: Atlantic Sands Evacuated After Dryer Fire

0
436

UPDATED – 12:45PM:  A fire at the Atlantic Sands Hotel in Rehoboth just before midnight Sunday was caused by a malfunction in a clothes dryer which activated a sprinkler head.  State Fire Marshal investigators say that Rehoboth Fire personnel arrived to find the alarm bells sounding and an evacuation in progress.  No injuries were reported and occupants were allowed back inside around 1:30am.  Damage is estimated at $5000.

=========================================================

What was first reported as a basement kitchen fire around 11:50 p.m. Sunday led to the evacuation of the Atlantic Sands on Baltimore Avenue in downtown Rehoboth Beach.

Hotel guests were in the process of evacuating when police, firefighters and EMS arrived minutes later.

There was no visible smoke from the outside, but once inside the basement, firefighters found a clothes dryer that was the source of the alarm. There was some water damage from the sprinkler system. A fire marshal is investigating. Guests were allowed to return about 25 minutes later. No injuries were reported but EMS crews assisted several guests to and from their rooms.