Update: Police Charge Woman After Fight Over Parking Space


Update on charges from a RBPD news release:

Nakala S. Spencer, 20, of Laurel, Del., was arrested Saturday evening after she punched another female during a dispute over a parking space in the median of the first block of Rehoboth Avenue, police said.

Image courtesy RBPD

At around 6:30pm, Rehoboth Beach Police were called to the location for a report of an assault. During a subsequent investigation, officers learned that Spencer was attempting to reserve a parking space by standing in it when the victim, a 52-year-old female from Parkton, Md., pulled her vehicle into the space. As the victim did so, Spencer refused to move. Spencer then proceeded to strike the victim in the face two times, grab the victim’s phone, and throw it to the ground.

Spencer had fled the scene in a vehicle prior to the officer’s arrival; however, an officer was able to locate the vehicle after a brief search at which point Spencer was taken into custody.

Spencer was arrested and charged with 1 count of offensive touching and 1 count of disorderly conduct, which are both misdemeanor crimes. Spencer was released on $1000.00 unsecured bail.

Rehoboth Beach Police would like to remind everyone that city ordinance prohibits the saving of parking spaces by pedestrians for vehicles.


Original story posted June, 26…

Fights over parking in Rehoboth Beach are not uncommon, but what is, is to have a person cuffed and taken into police custody. That happened Saturday after two women got into a violent dispute over a parking space in the ocean block of Rehoboth Avenue around 6:30 p.m.

One of the women claimed that she had been trying to park in the parking spot occupied by a female pedestrian who had been attempting to save it. The female driver said the pedestrian punched her in the face as she drove into the parking spot. The female pedestrian, however, claimed that the driver ran over her foot trying to steal her parking spot, a charge the driver denied.

One of the women had left the scene but police stopped her a couple minutes later near the Summer House to get her side of the story.

Police, caught in the middle of a case of “she said, she said,” decided to have both women come to the police station along with a witness, an off-duty police officer who supposedly saw the confrontation.

At that point, the one woman started to argue with the officer. He soon ordered her to stop resisting repeatedly as he placed the handcuffs on her.

Lt. Jaime Riddle, police spokesman, said Sunday he will have info on any charges later today, Monday.