Halloween is almost here and Delaware State Police would like to remind parents, children, motorists and those handing out candy to remain alert and stay safe during this Halloween season.
Please take a minute to read over these safety tips provided by Delaware State Police and share with your friends and families, so everyone can have a safe and fun night!
- Motorists are being asked to not only drive with extreme caution but also to drive extra slow in neighborhoods and residential areas because children may inadvertently dart across the street into the path of moving vehicles.
- Practice extra caution at intersections and corners.
- Pull in and out of driveways carefully.
- Children will be walking house to house and depending on the availability of sidewalks, maybe near or actually on the roadway.
- Children should never go “trick or treating” alone, they should always have a parent or a group of friends with them at all times and always carry a flashlight.
- Children should never go into a stranger’s home, car, or take short cuts through backyards or alleys.
- Stay off the main roadways.
- For added visibility consider using “glow sticks” and/or reflective tape attached to the costumes or bags.
- Before crossing the street, always look in both directions twice to make sure there is no moving traffic.
- Costumes should always fit properly and avoid using props that may cause alarm to the community, such as guns.
- Consider face paint instead of masks as they can obstruct a child’s vision.
- Children should never eat fruit or candy until examined by their parents or guardian. Never trust candy that has loose wrapping, unwrapped or holes in the package. WHEN IN DOUBT-THROW IT OUT!
Handing out Candy
- Pre-plan and eliminate any hazards surrounding your porch or walkway. Check around your property for low tree limbs, support wire or garden hoses that may be hazardous to young children rushing from house to house.
- Keep on your outside lights.
- Keep your pets locked in the house away from “Trick-or-Treaters”
On Tuesday, October 29, the Georgetown DMV will be hosting a Public Safety Trunk or Treat event! Please join us for treats and fun from 5-7 pm!