DSP Arrest 1 in Oak Orchard Home Invasion, 1 Suspect Still at Large
Delaware State Police were called for a shooting in the River Winds community in Oak Orchard Wednesday evening and learned that two armed suspects entered a residence and confronted several victims inside demanding money and threatening to shoot them if they didn’t comply. While the suspects were inside, a concerned citizen approached the home – and confronted the suspects. One of the suspects shot several rounds towards him and his vehicle. The suspects ran off on foot. Police later found one of the shots struck a nearby home that was occupied at the time – no one was injured.
A search of the area led to the arrest of 25 year old Marquise Bennett of Dover. He was found in possession of over 27 grams of marijuana.
Bennett was transported to Troop 4 and charged with the following crimes:
- Robbery First Degree (Felony) – 2 counts
- Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony (Felony)
- Home Invasion Burglary First Degree (Felony)
- Aggravated Menacing (Felony) – 3 counts
- Reckless Endangering First Degree (Felony) – 6 counts
- Endangering the Welfare of a Child (Felony) – 3 counts
- Possession of a Firearm by a Person Prohibited (Felony)
- Conspiracy Second Degree (Felony)
- Possession of Marijuana
- Terroristic Threatening – 2 counts
- Endangering the Welfare of a Child
Bennett was arraigned by Justice of the Peace Court # 3 and committed to Sussex Correctional Institution on $225,100 cash bond.
The second suspect remains unidentified at this time, and is only described as a black male. The investigation is continuing. Anyone with information should contact Crime Stoppers at 800-TIP-3333.