Applications are being accepted by the Delaware State Police for the 2020 Cadet Program. This program, established by legislation in 1998, enables eligible persons get training and limited enforcement powers while being exposed to the various sections of the Delaware State Police. Several Cadets who have gone through the program have gone on to be hired as State Troopers.
An individual applying should have the following qualifications, knowledge and abilities:
- Must be 18 to 21 years of age to apply and enter the Cadet program
- Must be a citizen of the United States and a Delaware Resident
- Must be currently enrolled in a Delaware accredited university or college in an undergraduate program (full-time or part- time).
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Must maintain a good personal appearance and physical condition
- Must have a sincere interest in the position and a continuing interest in the law enforcement profession
- May remain employed with the Division as a Cadet while actively pursuing an undergraduate degree, either full or part time, up until their 24th birthday
- Cadets completing their undergraduate degree with an active application for Trooper on file with Human Resources prior to their graduation may remain a cadet until they complete that Cadet SOP one applicant process.
The primary function of the Cadet Program, under enabling legislation of House Bill 478, is:
- Enforcement of Handicapped Parking under Title 21, Chapter 41, Section 4183.
- Enforcement of Fire Lane Parking under Title 21, Chapter 70, Section 7004.
- Assisting with targeted enforcement efforts (i.e., red light enforcement).
- Assisting with traffic control at Division-sponsored events. (i.e., Delaware State Police graduations, promotional ceremonies, etc.)
- Assignment of various administrative tasks at troop/section level.
Interested persons should apply online via: www.jobapscloud.com/DSP. The deadline to apply is Sunday, February 23, 2020at 4:00 p.m. Any questions should be directed to the Recruitment Office at (302) 739-5980 or via email at [email protected].
Important Notice – Cadets are NOT Troopers, and are limited in the scope of enforcement as contained herein. Cadets are considered to be casual seasonal employees of the Division and thus are not entitled to benefits. Cadets will receive forty (40) hours of training at the Delaware State Police Training Academy prior to being assigned to a Troop.