UPDATED – 1:15pm – Firefighters in Wicomico and Sussex Counties had a long night battling a blaze at a home on East Elizabeth Street in Delmar, Maryland. State Fire Marshal officials say the fire was accidental and began on the side porch from improperly disposed legal, ground-based sparkler devices in a trash can after use. The home did have a smoke alarm which did activate. Delmar firefighters found flames through the roof when they arrived at the scene – multiple fire companies from Sussex and Wicomico County provided assistance. Damage is estimated at $60,000.
It was a very long night for fire companies in Wicomico and Sussex County. Firefighters were called just after 1:30 for a fire on East Elizabeth Street in Delmar – crews arriving at the scene found fire through the roof of a two-story home. Multiple fire crews assisted Delmar firefighters throughout the night. The scene was cleared around 5am.