Maryland paying to get abandoned boats out of state waterways


There might be something in the water, and the State of Maryland wants to get it out. The Department of Natural Resources says it will provide funding to local government and municipalities to remove abandoned boats and debris clogging up state waterways that pose a hazard to navigation and the environment. The state will provide funding of up to $25,000 for any abandoned boats or debris that limits access to public boating facilities or shipping channels. Applications will be accepted until July, and can be found here.

  • To report an abandoned vessel or debris, contact the Maryland Natural Resource Police (NRP) by calling 410-260-8888. An NRP officer will follow up and contact you and if deemed appropriate, an investigation will be conducted and the officer will provide additional guidance.
  • To report normal floating debris in a waterway, such as trees, brush and trash, call the NRP Communications Center at 1-877-224-7229 and select Option 3.
  • To report hazardous debris, such as fuel or propane tanks, call the Maryland Department of Environment at 1-866-633-4686.