PREPARING FOR HURRICANE/TROPICAL STORM
April 25, 2022/
What to Do Before a Tropical Storm or Hurricane
CLICK HERE FOR WGMD STORM PREP GUIDE
CLICK HERE FOR PRINTABLE HURRICANE MAP/TRACKER
The best time to prepare for a hurricane is before hurricane season begins on June 1. It is vital to understand your home’s vulnerability to storm surge, flooding, and wind. Here is your checklist of things to do BEFORE hurricane seasons begins.
- Know your zone: Do you live near the Gulf or Atlantic Coasts? Delmarva is on the Atlantic Coast. Much of this area is a hurricane evacuation area
- Put Together an Emergency Kit: Put together a basic emergency. Check emergency equipment, such as flashlights, generators and storm shutters.
- Write or review your Family Emergency Plan: Before an emergency happens, sit down with your family or close friends and decide how you will get in contact with each other, where you will go, and what you will do in an emergency. Keep a copy of this plan in your emergency supplies kit or another safe place where you can access it in the event of a disaster. Start at the Ready.Gov emergency plan webpage.
- Review Your Insurance Policies: Review your insurance policies to ensure that you have adequate coverage for your home and personal property.
- Understand NWS forecast products, especially the meaning of NWS watches and warnings.
- Preparation tips for your home from the Federal Alliance for Safe Homes
- Preparation Tips for those with Chronic Illnesses
- Have a plan for your pets – not all shelters or evacuation sites will accept pets
Some information courtesy Weather.gov