NEW CASTLE (Jan. 3, 2018) – With a blizzard warning for Sussex County beginning tonight into Thursday and a winter storm warning for Kent and New Castle counties, Code Purple is being declared across the state. Additional declarations are expected.
Since most Code Purple sites use volunteers to manage operations, the activation and implementation vary by county and site. To be connected to Code Purple resources, call Delaware 2-1-1 or click the Code Purple button at www.delaware211.org. Or call the Delaware Housing Alliance’s Centralized Intake Line at 302-654-0126, ext. 112. If you see someone outside who appears to be homeless, encourage them to seek emergency shelter or call a non-emergency police number to alert the police to the situation.
Details about the shelters, which are organized and operated by nonprofit organizations or volunteers, include:
Code Purple is declared when temperatures fall below 32 degrees. Sanctuaries through the weekend:
- St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, 202 N. North St., Seaford (men only). Check-in at 8:30 p.m.
- Gateway Fellowship, 8011 Cannon Road, Bridgeville (women and children only). Check-in at 8:30 p.m. For both sites, dinner is provided at 7 p.m. at the CROSS building, 703 E. King St., Seaford, with transportation to Gateway Fellowship afterward.
- Avenue United Methodist Church, 20 N. Church St., Milford (men only). Check-in at 7 p.m.; meals provided on-site.
- Laurel Nazarene, 100 Walnut Drive, Laurel (men, with separate space for fathers with children). Check-in at 7 p.m. Dinner provided at the CROSS building, 703 E. King St., Seaford, with transportation to and from the CROSS to be provided.
- Georgetown Presbyterian, 203 N. Bedford St., Georgetown. Call Pastor Mike at 302-344-1912 or leave a message at the church at 302-856-6842. The sanctuary is only open for extreme weather. People must call ahead about availability.
- Immanuel Code Purple Shelter, 37439 Oyster House Road, Rehoboth Beach, open nightly until April 1 regardless of the temperature (serving men and women). 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. daily.
For more information, call the hotline at 302-519-0024 or visit: https://codepurplesussexcounty.com
Code Purple has been declared for tonight and Thursday night. The schedule:
• Centennial United Methodist Church, 44 E. Mount Vernon St., Smyrna (5 p.m.)
• Presbyterian Church, 54 S. State St., Dover (5 p.m.)
• Avenue United Methodist Church, 20 N. Church St., Milford (5 p.m.)
In Dover, all overflow for men will be sent after dinner at Presbyterian to emergency center at Dover Interfaith.
• Wesley United Methodist Church (enter on North Street), 209 S. State St., (5:30 p.m.)
• Milford Community Center, 105 NE Front St. (5 p.m.)
Thursday during the day:
- Hopes & Dreams Peer Resource Center, 621 W. Division St., Dover, will open from 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Dover Interfaith Resource Center, 684 Forest St., Dover, will open from 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
For information about future locations, call the hotline at 1-800-733-6816.