Sprinkler System Saves OC Restaurant in Early Morning Fire


Ocean City Fire Department officials say a sprinkler system saved a restaurant in the resort town from serious fire damage.

The incident happened in the early morning hours of Tuesday, June 18 after 4 a.m. at the Castle in the Sand Hotel. Officials say they received a call from a hotel employee saying the fire alarm was activated and that he could see fire burning in the basement of the restaurant at the hotel.

Fire Marshal David Hartley tells WGMD “A properly functioning fire sprinkler system saved lives and property this morning at the Castle in the Sand.” He continued “The hotel’s diligence in servicing and maintaining their fire protection systems ensured that everything worked properly, which limited damage and ensured the safe evacuation of hotel occupants.”

Hotel occupants returned to their room about 30 minutes following the call and the Beach Hotel Restaurant is expected to return to normal business following a brief cleanup. An OCFD spokesperson says damage was minimal and that the Fire Marshal’s Office has ruled the blaze accidental, related to the spontaneous ignition of laundered, cooking oil-soaked cleaning rags.