Update: Del. State Senate Confirms 9 Nominations From Gov. Carney
Update: The State Senate confirmed nine of Governor John Carney’s nominees to judgeships, boards and commissions Wednesday afternoon.
Carney said he appreciates the Senate’s careful consideration, and is confident each nominee has the good judgement and experience necessary to serve.
Theresa Hayes will serve as a Judge on Family Court in Sussex County.
Kristine Kellenbenz is confirmed as Justice of the Peace for Sussex County.
Taylor Oliphant becomes Alderman of the Town of Laurel.
And, Vice Chancellor Travis Laster is reappointed to continue on the Delaware Court of Chancery.
The Delaware State Senate is set to meet in a one-day special session called by Governor John Carney to consider a total of nine nominations.
The Senate Executive Committee is scheduled to convene at noon, and the full Senate will go into session at 2:00 p.m. Wednesday.
Theresa Hayes is nominated to join Sussex County Family Court to replace retiring Judge Kenneth Millman. Kristine Lellenbenz would replace retiring Sussex County Justice of the Peace magistrate Nicholas Mirro. Nominees to several other boards and commissions will also be considered.
Up to 25 members of the public may attend, and seats may be reserved – please CLICK HERE (Masks are required at Legislative Hall.)
According to the Senate Democratic Caucus, these nominations will be considered:
- Martin O’Connor, who is nominated to fill a New Castle County Superior Court Commissioner seat left vacant by the appointment of Katharine Mayer to the Court of Common Pleas;
- Theresa Hayes, who is nominated to succeed retiring Sussex County Family Court Judge Kenneth Millman;
- Earl MacFarlane, who is nominated to fill a seat on the New Castle County Justice of the Peace bench previously held by Vincent Kowal;
- Kristine Kellenbenz, who is nominated to succeed retiring Sussex County Justice of the Peace magistrate Nicholas Mirro;
- Taylor Oliphant, who is nominated to fill the Town of Laurel Alderman position previously held by Kelly Pettyjohn;
- Monica Alvarez, who is nominated to fill a seat on the State Board of Elections previously held by Cimone Phillpots;
- Earl Jeter, who is nominated to fill a seat on the Delaware Lottery Commission previously held by George Luff;
- Theodore Becker, who is nominated to fill a seat on the Delaware River & Bay Authority previously held by James Ford;
- William Tobin Jr., who is nominated to fill a seat on the Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board previously held by Sarah Buttner.
The Senate will also go into session November 1st for redistricting to consider new maps of General Assembly districts. Proposed maps were released Monday – please CLICK HERE